The Groundskeeper is primarily responsible for maintaining the campus landscaping, carrying out move requests and outdoor events set ups.
Employees in this position are considered "essential personnel", which requires them to report for duty during weather/other emergencies that may result in College closings or delays. Regular work assignments change to performing snow removal duties such as shoveling, snowplowing, ice melting, salting and sanding etc.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday : 7:00am – 3:30pm
- Maintains grass, shrubbery, flower beds, seasonal plantings and trees through cutting, pruning, planting.
- Mows, waters lawns, shrubs and trees as required.
- Weeds, prunes, trim and generally maintain the gardens, shrubs and trees.
- Clears sidewalks, entrances, courtyard, parking lots and driveways of debris using brooms and power sweepers, blowers and other related equipment.
- Maintain/install irrigation systems and related replacement parts.
- Chemically clean and/or power wash sidewalks or building surfaces to remove stains or graffiti.
- Installs and repairs signs and banners
- Police assigned work zones for a variety of trash and litter and dispose appropriately.
- Operate commercial lawn mowers, tractors, front-end loaders, and trucks as necessary to the performance of the assigned task.
- Performs minor repairs to pavement, fences, walls, and other exterior areas.
- Moves furniture and related items associated with interdepartmental moves requests. Utilizes equipment and chemicals in a sensible manner.
- Performs set up of outdoor/off campus events to include tent set up, waste receptacles, and barricades in coordination with the Events Department.
- Removes snow from sidewalks, entrances, courtyards, parking lots, etc. using shovels, snow blowers, snow plows and other related snow removal equipment, as directed by Management.
- Initiates request to purchase supplies related to work assignments according to established procedures.
- Attends safety, equipment and material training as scheduled by Management.
- Performs additional Facilities duties as assigned. Help other facilities departments when requested by Management.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a landscaping, nursery and/or grounds maintenance position.
- Previous employment experience using commercial equipment such as lawn mowers, tractors, front-end loaders, and snow plows.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry objects up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
- Must be able to read instructions and safety rules, write sentences, communicate verbally, and follow instructions.
- Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, lifts, etc. as well as stand, reach, stoop, crouch, sit, kneel, climb, crawl and walk extensively across multiple areas of campus.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- A valid NH driver’s license required
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to CSCjobs@colby-sawyer.edu or stop by the Human Resources office in Colgate Hall room 230 to complete an application.
Colby-Sawyer College is committed to being an inclusive and diverse campus community, which celebrates multiple perspectives. Under institutional policy, as well as under state and federal law (including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Age Discrimination Act), Colby-Sawyer College does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices or its admission practices on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, mental or physical disability, family or marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, or gender identity.