Assume a leadership role in the college's fundraising efforts through aggressive, innovative management of prospects. This is a highly-visible position where energy, diplomacy, sophistication, and an understanding of philanthropy and higher education are key factors to success. It is important to have unique skills in building trust and cultivating relationships with alumni, donors, friends and external constituents in order to generate annual capital and estate gifts for Colby-Sawyer College. Daily interactions with all College constituencies require diplomacy, judgment, and an understanding of the College’s culture and vision.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects for gifts from $25,000 to $250,000 in range.
- Work with VP for Advancement and major gift officers in design and implementation of major and planned giving programs. Provide assistance in development of annual and long-term operating plans, including setting annual and long-term quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Respond to prospect and donor inquiries and requests, including developing gift opportunities and related written materials.
- Travel and tend to new and former prospects needs, in order to develop a strategy to uphold their involvement.
- Work with Director of Alumni Relations in developing and implementing outreach and cultivation activities and events for alumni donors and prospects, as well as target constituencies. Participate in assigned special events and receptions as they pertain to assigned prospects.
- Develop a wide range of written cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement and stewardship materials including correspondence.
- Assist in formulation of budgets for major giving unit and other special initiatives, as appropriate.
- Participate in Development-related activities and events (Reunion weekend, commencement, etc.).
- Observe safety requirements. Report safety issues and items requiring work orders to supervisor or security.
- Work effectively with all college employees and students.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven ability to solicit and close gifts.
- Organizational skills, including time and project management.
- Availability for significant travel, along with a valid driver’s license.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least three years experience in institutional development or related field.
Attendance & Punctuality
- Always regular and prompt
- Must physically be present at work
- Available some weekend and evening hours as needed.
- Sufficient computer skills to perform routine word processing and record-keeping functions.
- Sufficient understanding of computerized databases to efficiently capitalize on technology resources related to tracking and analyzing relevant data.
Other Skills & Abilities
- Precise and professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with the public and cooperatively with other staff and departments.
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to CSCjobs@colby-sawyer.edu or stop by the Human Resources office in Colgate Hall room 230 to complete an application.