Page Not Found

frequently asked questions for international students

How do I apply to Colby-Sawyer College?

You may apply online by visiting the Admissions site.

Are there scholarships available for international students?

For more information about financial aid and scholarships, visit the Financial Aid Office and Scholarships Web site.

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

All international students must take the TOEFL. We look for a 61 ibt (internet based test) or a 500 paper test score on the TOEFL, or a 5.5 on the IELTS.

How do I apply for a VISA?

To apply for a student VISA, you will first need to be admitted to Colby-Sawyer College. There are a number of documents you will need to apply for a student VISA. Incoming students should click here for more information.

How do I maintain my status as an international student once I have my I-20?

Returning students can click here to learn more about the steps required to maintain international student status.

How do I learn about healthcare and health insurance at Colby-Sawyer?

Incoming students should check the Getting Started Guide for new students for more information. If you have more specific questions, please contact Baird Health and Counseling.

What is international student orientation?

During orientation, you will learn about Colby-Sawyer College and the surrounding area, and meet other students, faculty and staff. You will also have the opportunity to take care of such things as opening a bank account and buying computer supplies. Orientation for students beginning studies at Colby-Sawyer in September 2011 will begin on Tuesday, August 30th.

What types of things are there to do in New London?

New London and the surrounding region are rich with many activities. In the winter, Colby-Sawyer students get free season passes to ski at nearby Mount Sunapee. The mountains are great for hiking.

There are also numerous fine and performing arts opportunities, both on campus and in the region. For more information about things to do in the area, click here.

I've got too much stuff to bring on the airplane. Can I ship items to campus?

International students may ship items early, though we ask that they arrive on campus as close to the student's arrival date as possible. Items can be shipped to:

Colby-Sawyer College International Student Services
541 Main Street
New London, NH 03257

Can I work while I'm in school?

International students on an F-1 visa may work on campus. Campus jobs are limited because international students are not eligible for federally-funded work-study positions. International students with valid VISAs can work off-campus only if their job fulfills an internship required by their major. Click here to learn more.

Can I stay on campus during the campus breaks?

During some breaks, the residence halls will remain open and students may stay on campus. There are other breaks during which students must ask permission to remain on campus.

The college closes during the winter recess, and students are not allowed to stay on campus. Click here for more information about campus closings.

What is the best way to travel to Colby-Sawyer?

It is best to fly into Boston Logan International Airport in Boston and take the Dartmouth Coach bus from the airport to New London, New Hampshire. If discussed with the International Student Services staff in advance, it may be possible to pick you up from the bus stop.