Page Not Found

obtaining a driver's license

Driving in New Hampshire

Can I drive in New Hampshire if I have a driver's license in my home country?

If you have both an international driving permit and a valid driver's license from your home country, you may drive in New Hampshire for your first sixty days. Within this sixty day period, you must pass the written and road tests to obtain a New Hampshire driver's license.

If you have a driver's license in your home country and plan to obtain a NH driver's license, you will need:

A letter from an appropriate authority from your home country that explains your driving record. The letter must state that your license is not under suspension or revocation. It is best if it includes a record of any accidents and violations. This is also useful information for your automobile insurance company.

Can I drive in New Hampshire if I have a driver's license from another US state?

If you hold a valid driver's license from another US state, you can drive in any state in the US. If you move permanently to another state, you must obtain a license from that state after 60 days.

What if I do not have a driver's license?

If you do not have a driver's license from home or another US state, you must pass a licensed driver's education course . You will need to pass a written test, eye exam, and driving test at the Department of Motor Vehicles in Concord. The New Hampshire State Driver's Manual is available online. The Division of Motor Vehicles is located at 23 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305 and is open 8:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Can I go to any Division of Motor Vehicles Office?

Non US citizens living in New Hampshire may only apply for their driver's license at the Concord office.

What documents do I need to apply?

You will need to submit the following original documents:

•Your I-20

•Your passport(s) and your I-94 card

•Your Social Security card or letter from the Social Security Administration stating that you have been denied a Social Security Number. (If you are not employed anywhere, you are not eligible for a Social Security Number.) When you request your certification letter from ISS, you will also be asked if you have a Social Security Card. If you do not, ISS will prepare a second letter for you. You must take this letter to the Social Security to receive their letter stating you have been denied a Social Security Number.

• Proof that you are living in New Hampshire. This can be obtained by contacting the International Student Advisor. If you do not live on campus, you will need verification of your residence such as a copy of your lease, a utility bill or your bank statement. A Post Office Box address is not sufficient for this purpose.

•If you are on OPT, bring your Form I-766, "Employment Authorization Document." The DMV will use the A number on this card to verify your status. *Answers to any general questions you may have can be found on this helpful government fact sheet from U.S. Immigrations and Custom Enforcement as well as on the Frequently Asked Questions page on the DMV website.