obtaining a social security number

International Students need a Social Security number to work in the United States, even on campus. The Social Security Administration will only assign Social Security numbers to students with documentation certifying that they have an on-campus job or are authorized to work under one of the categories listed under the employment sections of this web site.

International students will need to bring the following documentation with them to the Social Security Administration Office in Concord to apply:


You will also need ONE of the following:

•Job offer letter on department letterhead and certification letter from CSC International Student Services (for on campus work)
•Job offer letter on company letterhead and CPT authorization on your I-20 form (for F-1 student internships)
•Valid employment authorization card for F-1 Optional Practical Training or F-1 Economic Hardship

Bring the necessary documents with the completed application Form SS-5 to the Social Security Administration in Concord located at: STE 100, 70 COMMERCIAL ST, CONCORD, NH 03301. Telephone: 1-800-772-1213, Open Monday through Friday, 9a.m. to 3.30p.m. You will not receive your Social Security number at the time of application. It will be sent to you in the mail. There is no guarantee that you will be issued a Social Security number; if you are denied, remember to ask the reason for the denial, and ask for a Denial Letter. There is no fee to apply.

If you have additional questions, please contact the International Student Advisor.