internships and careers

Becoming a Professional

Senior Psychology majors are required to have an internship experience in a psychology-related organization including (but not limited to) human services, criminal justice, counseling and guidance, career and student development, and research. This rich experience allows students to learn applied skills, develop professional relationships, and practice ethical behavior. A required sequence of research courses prepare students for graduate school and sharpen interest and skills in program evaluation.

There are endless possibilities for internship sites, but recently, Psychology majors have found internship opportunities at the State Prison for Men, adolescent group homes, private and public schools, assisted-living and rehabilitation facilities, Child Life Program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, crisis centers, and in human resources and career development departments.

Colby-Sawyer College encourages study away opportunities for all students. As a result, there is now an affiliation agreement with Washington Internship Institute to provide internship experiences in Washington, D.C.

Harrington Center for Experiential Learning for Career and Academic Advising

Students are encouraged to use the resources of the Harrington Center for Experiential Learning for Career and Academic Advising, where they can meet with a counselor to explore career options, internship opportunities and graduate schools.

Careers in Psychology

Psychology is an ideal program for students who wish to gain a deeper understanding of human behavior and mental processes. Psychology majors acquire practical work experience through the senior-year internships. In addition, interns are regularly offered paid positions following graduation at their internship sites.

Entry-level positions in psychology-related organizations include psychology assistant in psychiatric hospitals, rehabilitation facilities and mental health centers, group home counselors, activities assistant at assisted-living and nursing homes for elderly residents and dementia patients, human services workers, crisis center counselors, research assistant, and human resources assistant. Careers such as family therapist and school counselor require additional graduate education, usually a minimum of a master's degree.