Loans and outside scholarships may help you to pay for tuition and fees, books, and other supplies.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To see if you qualify for federal student loans, eligible students may submit a FAFSA online. Get started by creating a FSA ID and be sure to select Colby-Sawyer as one of the colleges to receive a copy of your FAFSA. Colby-Sawyer's federal code is 002572.

Federal Direct Loan Program

Students who submit a valid FAFSA and maintain at least half-time enrollment may be eligible for federal student loans. There are limits to federal student loan borrowing; students who have borrowed federal student loans in the past may be close to meeting or have already met their borrowing maximums. For more information about federal student loans, visit

Private Student Loans

Private student loans may require a credit worthy co-signer. Colby-Sawyer recommends a list of lenders via Elm Select who may serve your needs; you are not obligated to choose from these suggested lenders and may secure private loans at any time with the lender of your choice.

Outside Scholarships

An outside scholarship is any scholarship not awarded by the government or the college, such as a scholarship provided by a private sector company, philanthropist or foundation. If you receive such a scholarship, you are required to report it to the Financial Aid Office by sending a copy of the award letter or certificate. We recommend several free scholarship searches: