Colby-Sawyer College seeks a dynamic individual to lead, organize, and manage all aspects of the College's NCAA Division III intercollegiate athletics program. A history of successful leadership in co-educational college athletics, including personnel management, compliance, and operations is required along with documented success in fundraising and a commitment to the development of donor relationships.
The Director of Athletics is responsible for ensuring achievement of strategic plan goals and objectives; sound fiscal management; compliance with institutional policies, athletic governance organization rules and regulations, and local, state, and federal laws; and sustaining a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism and respect at all levels. The Director will also effectively collaborate with administrative offices such as Admissions, Financial Services, Advancement, and Marketing and Communications to recruit, retain, and support student-athletes.
This is a highly visible, senior level position that reports directly to the Vice President for Student Development. Success relies on an in-depth understanding of the role of athletics in a co-educational, liberal arts institution, and leadership that is consistent with the mission and goals of the college to promote a positive student athlete experience.
- Be a strong advocate for student-athlete well-being and the athletics program in general.
- Develop, manage, and implement a strategic vision and plan to accomplish stated goals and measurable objectives for the athletics program.
- Effectively allocate available resources to support goals and objectives through the development, implementation, and monitoring of the annual operating budget.
- Recruit, hire, mentor, support, and supervise up to 35 full and part-time department employees and student assistants. Confer regularly with staff to plan and coordinate activities, assign and evaluate work, and resolve problems.
- Encourage diversity in hiring in athletics including student, staff, administrators, and coaches.
- Communicate regularly with key campus personnel and collaborate with campus offices to plan, problem-solve, and promote the student-athlete experience.
- Serve on various college committees.
- Develop and implement operating policies, procedures, and initiatives that build and maintain healthy, competitive athletic programs; support NCAA and conference rules; and promote good sportsmanship.
- Oversee and supervise all regular department operations associated with scheduling, sports information, team travel, equipment purchasing and maintenance, facility and event management, and athletic training coverage.
- Assess the athletics program regularly for planning, continual improvement, and to enhance and maximize the student athlete experience.
- Represent Colby-Sawyer College at NCAA and conference meetings. Represent and promote the athletic program to alumni, parents, prospective and current student-athletes, and at various public relations and fundraising functions.
- Plan and administer appropriate department records systems. Prepare a variety of administrative and management reports including EADA and various NCAA documents.
- Keep abreast of current developments in higher education athletics programs, including athletic association regulations and guidelines, and ensure Colby-Sawyer compliance with the latter.
- Oversee the recruitment of prospective student-athletes including working with Admissions to create appropriate correspondence and schedule on-campus visits. Monitor recruitment and roster goals of all coaches and support them in achieving those goals. Collaborate with athletics staff to promote academic success, retention, and graduation for all student-athletes through partnerships with the campus community
- Serve as the face of athletics fundraising and support the Advancement staff in all fundraising activities involving athletics by cultivating increased alumni engagement and fostering donor relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree athletics administration, sports management, or a related field preferred;
- At least six years of successful senior-level leadership in athletics administration at the NCAA Division III level including personnel management, budget management, compliance, operations, and policy development;
- Documented success in fundraising and commitment to the development of donor relationships;
- Experience in coaching at the college level;
- Personal commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy;
- Knowledge of technology related to college athletic programs and program management;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion;
- The ability to work nights and weekends in order to fully participate in athletics, recruiting, and college-wide programs and events
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to CSCjobs@colby-sawyer.edu or stop by the Human Resources office in Colgate Hall room 230 to complete an application.
Colby-Sawyer College is committed to being an inclusive and diverse campus community, which celebrates multiple perspectives. Under institutional policy, as well as under state and federal law (including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the Age Discrimination Act), Colby-Sawyer College does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices or its admission practices on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, mental or physical disability, family or marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, or gender identity.