Dr. Fournier joined the college as an assistant professor in 2019. She holds a PhD in nursing from Rutgers University, an MS in health care administration from New England College and an MSN with a specialty in acute care from Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions. She also holds a BA in French/Spanish from Saint Anselm College.
Dr. Fournier has over a decade of teaching experience and has taught many nursing courses in the classroom and clinical settings in a variety of programs at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. Dr. Fournier's favorite courses to teach include: Introduction to Professional Nursing, Nursing Leadership, and Nursing Capstone.
Dr. Fournier is dedicated to student well-being and the nurturing of person centered nurses. She is especially interested in spirituality, holism, and caring theory. She is also interested in the development and support of interdisciplinary courses. read more…
Areas of Expertise & Research Interests
- Caring theory
- Complementary modalities
- Health and wellness
- Health care
- Benedictine Charism of Nursing (May 31, 2018) – a three person panel presentation - 12th Annual Benedictine Pedagogy Conference
- Sharing Spiritual Space (September 15, 2017) - 7th Annual New England Holistic Nursing Conference
- Sustaining Compassion in Practice (May 5, 2017) – Southern NH Medical Center Nursing Conference
- Cost of caring: Compassion Fatigue (March 18, 2017) – presented as part of the New England Doctoral Student Conference
Peer-reviewed Poster Presentations
- “On the Edge”: Nurses’ perceptions of personal safety (September 2019) – 9th Annual New
England Holistic Nursing Conference
- Harm Reduction Measures: The Management of Substance use Disordered Patients (with Tianna Federico, SN)– (April 6, 2019) Transformational Learning Conference at Rivier University
- Aligning Patient Engagement with Caring Theory – (September 13-14, 2018) The 8th Annual New England Holistic Nursing Conference
- Se es enfermera y se habla espanol – (May 31 - June 2, 2017) The 25th Annual Conference for Nurse Educators
- Spanish Minor for Nursing Majors - (April, 19, 2017) Epsilon Tau-at-Large: Spring Spotlight on Scholarship in Nursing Practice
- Activating the Spirit - (April, 19, 2017) Epsilon Tau-at-Large: Spring Spotlight on Scholarship in Nursing Practice
- Welch, J. & Fournier, A. (2018). Patient engagement through informed nurse caring.
International Journal for Human Caring, 22, 1-10. doi:10.1891/1091-5710.22.1.
- Fournier, A. (2017). Creating a sacred space in the ICU at the end-of-life. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 36(2), 110-115.
- Fournier, A. L. & Sheehan, C. (2017). Pender’s health promotion model. In: Encyclopedia of Nursing Research. 4th ed. New York: Springer.
- Fournier, A. & Sheehan, C. (2015). Growing Gratitude in Undergraduate Nursing Students/ Applying Findings from Social and Psychological Domains to Nursing Education. Nurse Education Today, 35(12), 1139-41.
- Ph.D., Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- M.S., New England College
- M.S.N., Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions
- B.A., Saint Anselm College