Joined the faculty in 1995. Ph.D., Purdue University, Physical Education with concentration in Biomechanics; M.S. University of Wyoming, Physical Education; B.S. University of Delaware, Physical Education with minor in Biology. Certification: ACSM Exercise Physiologist. Professor Eckrich is an expert in the role of exercise in lifelong health, the mechanics and development of human motion, the changing role of women in sports, and appropriate principles and practices for coaches. read more…
Areas of Expertise
- Children in Sport
- Gender and Sport
- Motor Development
- Physical Activity and Aging
- Theory of Coaching
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Russell, P. M., Eckrich, J., & Hawkins, M. Landing development: A first look at young children. In A. Harrison, R. Anderson, and I. Kenny (Eds.), Scientific Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports. University of Limerick: Biomechanics Research Unit; Limerick, Ireland.
- Eckrich, J., & Strohmeyer, H. S. Motor development. In K. Thies & J. Travers (Eds.), Handbook of human development for health care professionals. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Barber, H. & Eckrich, J. An investigation of the methods and criteria employed in the evaluation of intercollegiate coaches. Journal of Sport Management, 12, 301-322.
- Eckrich, J., Widule, C., Shrader, R. A., & Maver, J. The effects of a video observational training program on video and live observational proficiency. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 13, 216-227.
- Strohmeyer, H. S. & Eckrich, J. Effects of sitting versus standing on vertical jump performance. Poster presented at the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance National Convention; Boston, MA.
- Austin, G., Eckrich, J., Bellavance, C., Gill, C., White, T., & Medbery, R. Division III Student-athlete college selection criteria. Poster presented at the College Sports Research Institute Conference; Chapel Hill, NC.
- Bossé, J.D., Eckrich, J., Proulx, C. M., Gay, D. J., Hiruta, A. P., Medbery, R. E., & Smith, T. J. Shoulder external/internal rotation imbalances: Forward shoulder posture in college students. Poster presented at the National Strength and Conditioning Conference; Las Vegas, NV.
- Medbery, R., Eckrich, J., Carignan, M., DeSanty, E., & Krasco, K. (2006). Perceived leadership styles, self-reported behaviors, and team performance in NCAA Division III basketball coaches. Paper presented at the National Coaching Educators’ Conference; East Lansing, MI.
- Strohmeyer, H.S. and J. Eckrich. "Comparative Analysis of the Running Mechanics of 1st, 3rd, and 5th Grade Children Running at 75%-85% Age Predicted Heart Rate." Paper presented at the International Society of Sport Biomechanics National Convention.
- Strohmeyer, H. S., J. Eckrich, and M. Bird. "The Effect of Spatial and Temporal Instructional Cues on the Mechanics of the Vertical Jump." Poster presented at the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance National Convention.
- Eckrich, J., K. Kieffer, S. Kieffer and S. Creel. "A Comparison of Physiological Responses Between Treadmill Running and Underwater Treadmill Running." Poster presented at the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance National Convention.
- Eckrich, J. "Biomechanical Observational Models for Sport Skills." Workshop at the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance National Convention.
- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.S., University of Wyoming
- B.S., University of Delaware