Joined the faculty in 2018 and landed her dream job of being a full-time professor at her alma mater. She earned her Master’s degree at Dartmouth College and her doctorate in Educational Leadership at New England College. After working for thirty-three years in the public school setting, she is now “teaching teachers,” and is able to share her wealth of practical knowledge and experience with her students. While conducting research for her dissertation, she stumbled upon Angela Duckworth from UPenn, and her concept of “grit.” That led Professor Lyon to develop three years’ worth of curricula designed to teach grit and other character virtues, such as optimism, self-control and hope. She is currently interested in researching the passion part of grit. read more…
Areas of Expertise
- Child development
- Children and families
- Developing character traits
- Grit education
Recent Publications and Presentations
- 2016-17: Professional Development sessions at AGS Middle School, "Grit 1.o. 2.o, and 3.0," Fenton, Mich.
- 2016: Keynote Address for NPEN Conference, "Got Grit? Fostering Grit in the School Setting," Wilmington, Mass.
- 2015: Colby-Sawyer College Academic Address to faculty and staff, "Success Takes Grit"
- Ed.D., New England College
- MALS, Dartmouth College
- B.S., Colby-Sawyer College