The purpose of the guest policy is to enable students and residents to host visitors for academic or social purposes. Visitation can occur under the following circumstances.
- A "non-student guest" is defined as any non-student visiting a student on college owned or leased property.
- A “student guest” is any student not assigned by the college to the specific room in question.
- A “commuter student” is a Colby-Sawyer College student not living in College provided housing.
- A host is defined as any enrolled Colby-Sawyer College student.
Policy Regarding Hosting Guests in Residence Halls and College Houses
- Each resident may host a maximum of two overnight guests for no more than two nights in any seven-day period. Residents must obtain permission from roommate(s) prior to arranging guest visits. No student or non-student guest may stay on campus for more than two nights in a seven-day period without advance approval from the area coordinator.
- It is the right of every student to have privacy in his/her assigned room at any time. No student should at any time feel obligated to relinquish that right. Use of a student room for visitation should be with the mutual agreement of all roommates.
- Any roommate has the right to disapprove of any guest. It is the right of any resident of a room to ask a guest to leave. Students should seek Residential Education staff or Campus Safety assistance if the host of a guest refuses to comply with the student's request or if the guest refuses to leave when requested.
- In the interest of preserving privacy, students entertaining guests in their rooms may be expected to move to, or meet in common areas with their visitors.
- Residents of a room are responsible for activity taking place or property stored in that room, whether or not the residents are present. It is essential that students lock their doors when they leave their rooms.
Residents of residence halls or College Houses with concerns about visitation should first contact an RA or area coordinator. If residents need further assistance, they should visit the Student Development office, Ware Student Center, room 102, during regular business hours (M-F, 8 A.M - 5 P.M.) or Campus Safety during non-business hours.
Non-Student Guest Registration
Non-student guests who are visiting campus to include Colby-Sawyer College Houses at any time must register with Campus Safety (whether sleeping here or not) immediately upon arrival and no later than the start of quiet hours Sunday-Thursday, 10:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 1:00 a.m. A student hosting a non-student guest who will be arriving after quiet hours must contact Campus Safety at X3675 during regular business hours (M-F, 8 A.M - 5 P.M.) prior to their guest's arrival and request a special exception. No non-student guest will be registered after hours without having made prior arrangements.
To register, the guest, accompanied by the host, must provide valid photo identification and a completed Guest Registration Form to a member of the Department of Campus Safety located in James House. Non-student guests are required to show valid photo identification and an approved Guest Registration Form to college personnel upon request. Non-student guests without valid photo identification will not be registered. Non-student guests must be accompanied at all times by the host that signed their registration form.
College officials, including Residential Education staff and Campus Safety personnel, have the right to revoke guest pass privileges and/or evict guests from college property at any time if, in their judgment, the behavior of the guest warrants such action, or if the non-student guest has not been properly registered. Individuals not properly registered will be processed under the college's Trespass policy. Violations of local, state or federal law will likely result in law enforcement involvement.
Commuter students, who wish to visit the College residence halls/College Houses, must be accompanied by their host at all times.
- Commuter students visiting the College residence halls/College Houses between the start of quiet hours and 8 a.m. must register as a guest with Campus Safety. To register, the commuter student accompanied by the host must provide a valid Colby-Sawyer College ID and a completed Guest Registration Form, to a member of the Department of Campus Safety located in James House, prior to quiet hours.
- Commuter students may stay as an overnight guest a maximum of two days during a seven-day period.
All minor non-student guests under age 18 should present a completed Guest Registration Form to Campus Safety immediately upon arrival and may do so until the start of quiet hours Sunday-Thursday, 10:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 1:00 a.m. In order for a non-student guest under 18 to receive permission, the minor non-student must have a completed Guest Registration Form signed by his or her parent or guardian. The college reserves the right to notify a parent/guardian of a minor at any time.
Policy Regarding Guest Responsibility
Colby-Sawyer College students are responsible at all times for the behavior and property of their guests (non-student and student). Hosts are also responsible for ensuring their guests (non-student and student) are familiar with and observe the Code of Community Responsibility. The host of a guest (non-student and student) who violates the Code of Community Responsibility may be charged with any conduct violation(s) committed by his/her guest (non-student and student). The host of a non-student guest will also be deemed to be in violation of this policy if he/she fails to properly register that non-student or for failing to accompany that non-student guest while the guest is on campus.