Colby-Sawyer College Lock and Lock Out Policy
Students should keep their doors locked at all times. Students who are locked out of their room should contact Campus Safety and request assistance. During the hours when Residential Education staff members are on duty, Campus Safety will attempt to contact a Resident Assistant (RA) and request assistance for the student. The RA will verify the identity of the requesting student (if unknown) and unlock the student’s assigned room. During hours when Residential Education is not on duty, an RA is unreachable or the student resides in a CSC lease property, Campus Safety will provide access. In all cases Campus Safety will record the student’s name and date of the request so an accurate count can be maintained.
Faculty and Staff who are locked out of their space should first contact their Administrative Assistant for access. If no one from their area is available to assist they should contact Campus Safety for access.
Lock Out Charges
One free lock out is permitted each academic year. A lock out fee of $10 will be assessed for each lock out after the first has been logged. The lock out charges will be applied to the student’s CSC Smartcard account at the end of each month. Students without a CSC Smartcard account will have their College account billed.
Colby-Sawyer College Lock Change Policy
At Colby-Sawyer College the safety of our community members and visitors is a top priority. The loss or theft of a key is considered a security risk, as anyone who finds it is then able to access buildings and/or rooms. Therefore, lost keys should be reported to Campus Safety immediately. For the safety of all campus community members, a lost key will always result in a lock change.
A Student should report a missing key by emailing the office of Residential Education at email@example.com. The email should include the name of the student taking responsibility for the lost key, and the room number.
A Faculty/Staff member should report their lost key to Campus Safety by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and office number or by vising James House, Mon.-Fri. 8a-5p.
Once a notification of the missing key is received from the community member, a workorder will be generated for Lock Services, the lock will be changed and new keys issued.
Lock Change Charges
Colby-Sawyer College uses a proprietary patented lock system making unauthorized key duplication improbable. Charges for lock/key replacement are based on the cost of materials and the labor required to change any of the locks potentially impacted by the missing key(s).
The residential student cost for lock changes is as follows: $35.00 for a single; $45.00 for a double; $55.00 for a triple and $65.00 for a quad. Additional costs may be incurred for apartments and lease properties. Immediately after the lock change has been completed Campus Safety will issue an invoice to the responsible party through CSC campus mail. The invoice should be paid at the Financial Services office in Colgate Hall during regular business hours with a check, CSC Smartcard or Credit Card. Charges not paid within 14 days will be added to the student’s college account.
The cost of lock changes for employees who have lost an assigned key is predicated on the kind of key(s) that were lost and the number of locks impacted. The department who employs the individual who lost the key will be billed and is responsible for all related charges.
Physical Security Compliance
- No person may ignore, bypass, circumvent, damage, interfere with, or attempt to deceive by fraudulent means, any college authorized security measure or monitoring device, whether temporary or permanent, that is intended to prevent or limit access to, or enhance the security of, college property, events, facilities or portions thereof.
- No person may duplicate, falsify or fraudulently obtain a college key or access control device, or make any unauthorized attempt to accomplish the same.
- No person who is authorized to possess a college key or access control device may transfer a college key or access control device to an unauthorized person, nor may any unauthorized person be in possession of a college key or access control device.
- Any college employee that has been assigned a set of college issued keys that includes a submaster and/or grand master, shall return the key(s) to an on-campus, secure key storage “lock box” at the conclusion of their work day. Removing submaster and/or grand master keys from campus while not working is not permitted.
- Unauthorized duplication of college keys could result in fines, disciplinary action, and/or prosecution.