Colby-Sawyer College prohibits the possession of dangerous weapons. Except for those persons specifically exempted under this policy or otherwise explicitly authorized by the College’s director of campus safety to have a weapon, no one may possess, carry, use, transport, store, or otherwise have in their custody or control – however temporary – any weapon while on College owned or controlled property or at any College sanctioned event, wherever situated.
The term “weapon” (or “weapons”) includes the following:
- firearms (loaded or unloaded);
- fireworks, firecrackers, black powder or any other explosive devices;
- personal knives (2 inch blade or greater)*; swords, dirks, daggers, stilettos, switchblades, hatchets, machetes, and other bladed instruments;
- archery and target practice equipment;
- pellet guns, airsoft, sling shots or other devices which propel a projectile; or other weapons
- striking instruments including clubs, sling shots, truncheons, blackjacks and metal knuckles;
- martial arts weapons including nunchakus, staffs and throwing stars; and
- any object used as a weapon or otherwise used to threaten harm, intimidate, or any object designed to, or readily converted, to perform essentially the same function as any of the prohibited objects listed above, or any other destructive device or instrument that may be used to do bodily injury;
- laser pointers when improperly used; and
- any object or weapon of like kind as those listed.
* Kitchen knives (which are defined as knives specifically manufactured for use in food preparation) are authorized but must be safely stored when not in use. (i.e., knives are prohibited from display/storage in kitchen knife block, magnetic wall stand, etc.)
Chemical or pepper spray used for personal protection and self-defense is allowed on campus. However, misuse of these items will be considered a violation of this policy. Costs resulting from the misuse will be the responsibility of the owner of the propellant.
Any violations of this policy will result in confiscation of the objects and conduct system action. Use or possession of any of the aforementioned items could result in the termination of residence hall living privileges and/or separation from the college. Depending on the weapon and the circumstances surrounding its discovery, the College may notify New London Police Department.
Sworn, on-duty law enforcement officers acting within the scope of their employment are exempted from this policy.
Additional exemptions, involving any other provision of this policy, may be granted in writing by the Colby-Sawyer College director of campus safety for job related, educational, cultural, or demonstration purposes; or other reasonable purposes as determined in the sole discretion of the director.